Monday, November 7, 2011

Lapbooks

      So I was reading a post by Tamela from This and That blog, that she posted on the blog Crazy for First Grade.  I was excited to see that other people are doing lapbooks!  Lapbooks are a great way for young children to begin organizing their information about a certain topic.
     A few years ago a teacher on our grade level introduced us to lapbooks and since then, we have done lapbooks for Johnny Appleseed, Scarecrows, Thanksgiving, Voting, Frog and Toad, Solids and liquids, and plants!
     The kids really like doing these lapbooks!  I do not always use my original materials, however, I have taken materials that I already had and pieced them together into the lapbooks.  The two completely original lapbooks that I have done are for voting and solids and liquids.

Here are a few pictures of some recent lapbooks.
Thanksgiving/ Long Ago and Today:


 The front cover of the Thanksgiving Lapbook.  The turkey is glued on the left side only so that it actually looks like the turkey is holding the booklet!  These always turn out really cute! 
The students draw a picture of what they would like like if they were pilgrims and tell what they  would wear and the type of activities they would do.

 The corn is an example.  The students actually make two small corn cobs on which they have to create a pattern with fall colors.  The picture of the right is on the back cover of the lapbook.  The students piece together a puzzle (girl/boy) and glue it on the back of their lapbook.  It is amazing how many children struggle with this activity.  I am guessing that puzzles are not the most popular activities for kids at home now that we have so many electronic games!  This is unfortunate because it really helps with spacial reasoning.



    On the inside flap, the students match pictures of different items from long ago and today.


Here are a few pictures from our Scarecrow Lapbook we just finished this week!



Happy Lapbooking!!


4 comments:

  1. those are so cute! thanks for sharing your lapbooks! I love the turkey on the front cover :) he makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to develop lapbooks for solids and liquids and our Frog and Toad unit. Any ideas you have would be great! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are interested in them! I will pull them out and try and get them up on the blog over winter break! :)

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin