Friday, March 2, 2012

Seuss Week in Review!

        Seuss week is always fun and crazy busy!  This year was a little more fun as I added some new activities that I found by blogstalking and becoming a TPT junkie. 
   This week my class filled up their "foot" poster and so they earned a reward.  We voted on having pajama day yesterday along with our Read-A-Thon!  The Read-A-Thon lasted almost an hour and a half and the kids read with a partner that entire time.  After an hour I mentioned to them how long they had been reading, and they could not believe it!!  It is amazing how much they enjoy to read, when it is truly reading for pleasure! They did a great job and I was very proud of each one of them!


 
Cat in The Hats!  I love the different whiskers.
      I bought The Lorax Packet from the Clutter Free Classroom's TPT page and I loved it!  I  can't thank her enough.  The kids are so pumped for The Lorax movie to come out that this was a great focus this year.  We wrote about how we would feel or react if we were the Lorax and we even used her adorable mustaches to take photos of ourselves as The Lorax!   Then we created our own Truffula Trees with construction paper and tissue paper.  They turned out really cute. :)  The packet also included some other great activities to go along with the book. 







       I also did some great math activities with One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish. I purchased a unit called Fish Math from The Teachers' Cauldron's TPT page.  Instead of using actual Goldfish Crackers, I copied the fish sheet on colored construction paper.  The students made a bar graph, pictograph, and wrote sentences analyzing the data.  The best part was that the packet has differentiated activities.  Seven out of my 21 first graders are able to multiply and some of them can divide. This packet had addition problems on some activities and multiplication on others.  This was GREAT because the differentiation was already done for me!!
          Yesterday and today all of the first grade classes rotated to the different teachers.  Each teacher did a different Seuss activity with the kiddos!  Some of the wonderful activiteis were, http://www.seussville.com/ on the laptop computers, creating a creature that would have been seen on Mulberry Street, juggling with scarves, making Oobleck, creating a Horton (which turned out super cute), graphing different colored goldfish crackers, dancing with the Fox in Socks, and of course eating Green Eggs and Ham!!  The kids LOVE rotating to the different teachers and having such a wide variety of experiences. 

I hope your Read Across America Day/week went well!

Michelle

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a wonderful Seussy week ! Loved your pics, lots of great ideas. We had a lot of fun too, a highlight was seeing the movie today, just wonderful. Have a great weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We had a lot of fun. I would love to see the movie. I heard it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Miss King! As usual! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin