Sunday, May 19, 2013

Budding Blog



I am linking up with I Heart Recess for a Budding Blogger linky.  This is a showcase of bloggers who have 200 followers or less.  So here are the questions that are being answered by all the budding bloggers:

1.  Why did you start blogging?  I started blogging about two years ago.  One of the teachers at my school and I both had student teachers.  We would see each other in the computer lab almost every day. She has an amazing blog and she kept encouraging me to start one as well.  I started it up and would blog every once in a while, but it wasn't until this past year that I really got back into the swing of things!


2.  What is your favorite subject to teach and why? 
This is a very tough question for me.  I LOVE teaching reading and I LOVE teaching math.  They are both  my favorites and for different reasons.  I actually enjoy teaching phonics and sounds in words as well as reading and working on comprehension activities.  I love using novel studies with my advanced readers.  What I love most about reading in first grade is the growth the students make.  Teaching reading allows me to really see their progress throughout the year and most of all I love watching students develop a love for reading.  As far as math, I know it took me until I was in middle school to like math.  I I like watching those light bulb moments listening to students explain their reasoning for how they solve mathematical problems.  


3. Describe your teaching style.
I have very high expectations of my students.  I think the more you expect, the more they will achieve.  I like to have fun and joke with the students.  I try to give my students time to learn and explore on their own,  yet provide them with clear parameters for my expectations.  


4.  Give three interesting facts about you.
  1. I had a double major in Spanish in college.  I have lost a lot of my abilities with reading and writing, but I can still carry on a basic conversation.
  2. I have ran one half-marathon about five years ago.  After that half-marathon, I stopped running in races for a while.  I had only ran in a few races here and there until this past fall.  This past year, I started running again with some of the fabulous teachers from my school.  I am getting ready to run in a Warrior Dash in a few weeks! Wish me luck! I ran in one two years ago.
  3. I am obsessed with Pinterest.  In fact, one of the people from our Curriculum and Instruction department came to our grade level meeting a few weeks ago.  The meeting was in my classroom.  She looked around and said, "I see you like Pinterest".  Yes,  yes, it is that obvious!

5.  Do you have a TpT store?  If yes, post the link:)
I do have a TpT store!  I opened up my store in November and have learned SO much since then.  I have a lot of novel studies.  I try my best to create things that I find useful in my classroom and I hope that they are helpful to other teachers as well.  Please check out my store!

My store is under my name Michelle King. Just click HERE to go to my store.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!  

-Michelle

8 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,
    I found your blog through I {heart} recess - I LOVE your layout, so cute! I totally agree with you about high expectations. Good luck in your race :)

    Michelle
    The Organized Señorita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up! Love your Interesting Fact #3! We often reference Pinterest during our grade level meetings :)

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do we! What a great way to get to know other bloggers!

      Delete
  3. Have fun with the race Michelle! I'm not much of a runner but I admirer those who do. I'm a Pinterest junkie too :) Found you through the I heart recess linky & I'm your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your description of your teaching style - it sums up the way I like to run my classroom too! :)
    I popped over to visit from the linky but have been following you for a while.

    Lauren
    Love, Laughter and Learning in Prep!

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin