Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Wednesday WOW



     
     I am linking up for the first time with Coast to Coast Kinder for Wednesday WOW!  This week's focus is ELA.  I am a third grade teacher, but have readers of all levels in my homeroom.  Our third grade team flex groups and I teach a group of struggling readers. Since third grade was new to me, I struggled with how to teach fluency and comprehension in a way that was appropriate for third graders.  I stumbled upon this combo packet on TpT one day. Click on the pic to check it out.


     You know those purchases that you are SO glad you bought? This was one of them!  It has reading passages that are leveled from first through fourth grade.  I can use these this year with all of my struggling readers and in the future, whether I am teaching first or third grade!  
    Each week, on Monday, my reading groups do a COLD read of one of the passages on their reading level.  Then they practice the fluency passage each day.  On Friday, the students read the passage to me again, recording their HOT read time.  They also complete the comprehension activities on Friday, during our group.  
    I am seeing HUGE improvement in their fluency and couldn't be happier with these repeated readings.  Mostly, I LOVE seeing their faces on Fridays when they see how much they have improved throughout the week!  

What do you do in your room to promote reading fluency?!? 

-Michelle

1 comment:

  1. I have to check out those passages! I do the same thing with my kids to monitor Oral Reading Fluency and they do get so excited when they see their growth! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin