Five for Friday Linky is here again!
I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for the Five for Friday Linky Party! Last week was the first time I linked up and it was a lot of fun.
Here are five random things from this week:
1. While all of you are enjoying your Friday night and getting ready for hopefully a relaxing weekend, I am preparing to go to work tomorrow! YES, that is correct! We have a make-up teacher work day tomorrow. I am going in for a half-day. The positive side is that I didn't bring work home to do for the weekend, like usual!
2. This morning I was at the gym and while on the elliptical, I was reading The Book Whisperer. I had heard so many wonderful things about this book, that I decided that I needed to read it! While reading today, I had one of those aha moments that I pretend to have all the time during my read alouds! It really happened! I realized that there are things that I do in my teaching that I learned from my fifth grade teacher. I didn't even like her!!! However, she really let me choose book and discover my path as a reader. It was in fifth grade that I started to really like to read. I had always been a decent reader, but I didn't like to read.
This coming week we will have a read-a-thon for Dr. Seuss week and that was something that I loved about my fifth grade teacher. We spent once a quarter, ALL day reading and writing in our journals and this was something that I LOVED. (Plus we could bring our own snacks!)
3. Our February Calendar! Can you believe that February is almost over?!?! Neither can I! Today was day 112, which means we only have 78 days of school.
4. The Valentine Bears... We finished this up this week! I found an idea over at Mrs. Plant's Press to use the book The Valentine Bears for inferencing. My students gave examples to show how they were able to infer that Mr. Bear loved Mrs. Bear and how Mrs. Bear loved Mr. Bear. I used super cute heart sticky notes! The kids loved doing this too! This week we are going to take the notes down and put them in their reading journals, so that they can keep them as a record of their thinking.
5. I added a new Nate the Great packet to my TpT site! I LOVE Nate the Great! This one goes to the book Nate the Great and the Tardy Tortoise. Take a look! Your kiddos will love it too. :)
I hope you have had a super week! Enjoy your weekend!