Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Book Talk Tuesday and Two for Tuesday(Huge SAVINGS!)

       I am linking up with Mrs. Jump's Class for the Let's Talk About Books Linky and I am linking up with The Teaching Tribune for the last Two for Tuesday, where two of my products are 50% off all day today! 



      I'm going to start off with my two products for Two for Tuesday.  My products that are on sale this week are the following two:

      My NEWEST product, I, Amber Brown! I am SUPER excited about this product and using it with my students this fall.  Click on the picture below and grab a copy for half off all day today.

     My other product is a great buy!  I have 6 Magic Tree House Novel Studies.  This normally sells for $14.00 and you can grab it today for $7.00!  That is just barely over a dollar per book study!! Such a HUGE savings!!!!





        Now that you have some great deals to look into, here is an amazing book you should look for at your local library or book store! When I was at home, over spring break, my brother and my mom told me about this book and I knew I wanted to read it.
       The book David and Goliath, by Malcolm Gladwell is the story of the underdog.  He talks about what really happened in the story of David and Goliath and how David was able to conquer Goliath because he fought in an unexpected way.  Malcolm Gladwell questions if this isn't the case with many underdogs.  He talks about war, medicine, education (class size, dyslexia), sports, Big Fish/Small Pond or Small Fish, Big Pond, etc.   It is a book that will make you think, question, analyze, and reflect.  
       I have thought about a million different ways that I wanted to write about this book.  I then realized that this post would be SOOO long.  SO, instead I have decided to link up a video for you to watch and get a preview of his book.  If you happened to see 60 minutes last night, the author of this book was actually on there talking about this book!  Just click the picture below to watch the video clip.


These are some quotes from the text that resonated with me:

"He was an underdog and a misfit, and that gave him the freedom to try things no one else even dreamt of". (p.37)  

"The lesson of the Impressionists is that there are times and places where it is better to be a Big Fish in a Little Pond than a Little Fish in a Big Pond, where the apparent disadvantage of being an outsider in a marginal world turns out not to be a disadvantage at all". (p.74)

"Most people with a serious disability cannot master all those steps.  But those who can are better off than they would have been otherwise, because what is learned out of necessity is inevitably more powerful than the learning that comes easily". (p.109)

If you have chance to read it, I think you will like it as much as I did!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much Michelle for the book recommendation! I watched the video and I'm completely fascinated by Gladwell. I listen to non-fiction audio books so his books are on my Audio list!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin